Why Am I Always Tired?
Sleep & Tiredness - Tips to Improve Sleep Quality
Poor sleep quality can be considered the most determining factor for tiredness during the day.
There are a couple of tips that you can easily apply to your daily life in order to increase the quality of nighttime sleep:
- Sleep in a dark and quiet environment
- Get enough sleep
- Researchers recommend at least 7 hours of sleep at night. Getting less than 7 hours of sleep for a long period of time may result in significant health problems including sleep deprivation as well as a weakened immune system.
- Move your body during the day
- Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation
- Take a break from screens before bed
- Be mindful of your caffeine intake
- Set an alarm to create a sleep routine
Boost your energy during the day
It may seem difficult to make big changes in our busy lives. However, in addition to high-quality sleep, there are other aspects of our routines that we can easily modify in order to feel more energized during the day. By creating small but effective habits, we can feel more in charge of our mood as well as increase our productivity:
- Being mindful about our eating and drinking is an essential part of a healthy daily life that can have a positive impact on our well-being by naturally increasing our energy. It’s important to drink at least 2 liters of water a day and to limit our caffeine intake especially before bedtime.
- Taking restful breaks, even on a less busy day, can significantly decrease our stress levels as well as boost our energy. You may want to try practicing short meditations using Meditopia.
- 10 to 20-minute long naps have been shown to increase your mood and energy. You can try taking naps for a couple of days and decide whether or not it should be a part of your daily routine.
- Exercising has also been proven to positively affect our overall well-being, making us feel happier and more awake by releasing endorphins.
How do I wake up easier?
If you’re someone who has trouble waking up in the morning, the first thing to pay attention to would be your nighttime sleep schedule. However, you may still be feeling a little tired and in need of a morning routine despite a high-quality sleep. The tips below can be a part of your waking up routine to get ready for your day ahead:
- Get some sunlight
- It may be tempting to check our phones first thing in the morning, but getting some fresh air and sunlight can have a direct impact on how our body and mind awakens. You may prefer walking or even looking out the window, listening to the nature around you.
- Exercise or stretch
- Stretching and exercising are important in the sense that they signal us to wake up and start moving. These kinds of movements increase the blood flow to our muscles and also help us regulate our emotions. By moving your body in the morning, you can start your day refreshed and ready for what lies ahead.
- Meditating is an essential tool that can enable us to be more aware of our thoughts and feelings without judgment. With daily practice, we can begin to realize meditation’s effects applied to our daily lives, especially with regulating emotions such as our stress.
- Don’t snooze the alarm
- No matter how much we want to go back to sleep when we hear the alarm, it’s actually healthier to resist that will and get out of the bed. After a few days of doing this, you’ll already start feeling its benefits.
- Drink water as soon as you wake up
- It’s normal for our bodies to be dehydrated after a long night’s sleep. Therefore, drinking water when we wake up helps refresh and regulate our body, preparing us for the day.
- Have a rich breakfast
- We cannot expect our bodies to wake up and function properly without a strong fuel. This is where the vitality of having a rich breakfast comes in. After a long period of sleep, breakfast wakes our body’s systems by providing food. But of course not all of us can make the time or may not even feel hungry. You know what’s best for you, so just follow your inner voice.